Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Evil, evil scorpion!

So apparently Sundays have become a day for my kids to have some type of emergency...

This last Sunday we went to my in laws house for a birthday party for Aidan. Aidan was downstairs with his grandma when I hear a loud scream. I quickly run to the stairway and Aidan is walking upstairs, screaming, holding his thumb. He tells me that he was bit by something. I immediately think to myself, "oh great, it was a scorpion"(both Abe and I have been stung in that same basement). I didn't want to give Aidan any ideas so I asked him to describe it to me.

Me: "Did you see something move?"
Aidan:"Yes, it crawled away."
Me: "Was it furry?"
Aidan: "No."
Me: "What color was it?"
Aidan: "A light-ish brown."
Me: "Did it have a tail?"
Aidan: "Yes, it was big."

And that's when I knew it was a scorpion. So Abe carried Aidan downstairs, screaming, so he could show us where it happened. Aidan was terrified and didn't want to be anywhere near the thing. Sure enough, Jean lifted up a wooden block and there was a big scorpion. So we very angrily smashed it to pieces!
So right then I called Poison Control. They told me that it wasn't life threatening and to watch Aidan for hyper salivation and troubled breathing. They said they'd call back in 30 minutes. Aidan was completely inconsolable and in a lot of pain. I hated that there was nothing I could do for him. And then, he just got worse. He was complaining about having blurred vision and his eyes were moving rapidly back and forth. So when the Poison Control called back I told them and they said to watch him real close and they'd called back in another 30 minutes. I was getting pretty worried about Aidan so Abe and his dad gave him a blessing. I tried to lay down with him but he could not stay still. He would just roll back in forth moaning and crying. He told us he wanted to go home so we did. Poor thing couldn't sit still the whole way home. by the time we got home he was shaking pretty bad and he couldn't see well at all. And of course he was tingling everywhere. The Poison Control called again and when I told them what was going on they said to send him to the ER. OK, that worried me a little. I decided to stay home with Tanner and Abe took Aidan to the ER at about 8:30pm.

I was going crazy waiting and called Abe at about midnight. He told me that they had gotten in right away without any wait. The doctors told Abe that Aidan basically was experiencing the highest stage of a reaction to scorpion venom. Aidan experienced his first IV. They pumped him with muscle relaxers and antihistamines to see if that would settle the shaking and control his eyes. They said if that didn't work they'd have to send him to St. Joseph's for anti-venom. Thankfully, it did work. In fact, Abe said that Aidan began to hallucinate a little. He wasn't sure where he was or if Abe was his dad, and would sometimes grab for things that weren't there. Poor baby. Let me just say that I'm glad I wasn't there. I'm so weak I would not be a very good support. Well they had spent about 6 hours in the hospital when they told Abe it was safe to take Aidan home. We let Aidan sleep with us that night. I couldn't believe it when he woke up at 7:30. Poor guy only had about 4 hours of sleep. But he's a stubborn little boy. His eyes looked so horrible and sad form the drugs but the pain had gone away. He had a pretty relaxed Monday and even took a 4 hour nap.

Aidan is all better now and even told me that he forgives the scorpion. What a sweetie. I still hate the darn thing for putting my baby through that. Needless to say, I HATE scorpions even more now. Sorry, but no pictures of this one. I was just too concerned at the time to put him through pictures.

11 comments:

The Kurtzeborn Family said...

How terrible! I'm so glad he's ok now. I would be FREAKING OUT if that was my kid! Do you think Aidan will ever want to play in the basement again? Scary!

The Waldon Family said...

How awful! Aaron and Cody were just telling me how scary scorpions can be. That is very sweet of Aidan to forgive the scorpion, glad everything turned out okay!

:) said...

I am so glad that he is okay! Thank goodness for modern medicine. I have lived in Az. for almost 8 years now and have never seen a scorpion, (knock on wood). But, if I do I will make sure and smash the @#$% (pardon my french) out of it just for you. :)

Carrie said...

That's so scary! I'm so glad he's alright now...I would've freaked too, but I bet it killed you to stay home too! I don't ever want to see a scorpion, yuck.

Unknown said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! How scary! I would have been a mess!!! Grandma needs some pest control pronto! Glad he is better!

Elise and Dan said...

That was me, Elise, that posted as DAN. Sorry!

Rochelle said...

If I ever found a scorpion in my house, I'd let it forclose in a heartbeat cuz you can't get rid of them. I'm glad Aidan is ok! Yeah for priesthood blessings!

pollywallydoodle said...

Yikes!! I was always so afraid of something like that happening when I lived in the desert. So sorry!! Hurt children are the worst trials to go thru. xoxoxoxoxo pf

Jeffrey and Venessa said...

Aww Well we are glad he is okay. I hate scorpions!! My parents get them in their house so much! In fact the worst ever was right when jeff and I were getting married and thankfully I moved out but they had these tiny baby scorpions that completely blended in with the granite and tile in the house.So you could never see them until you almost touch them. Thankfully no one got stung but seriously scorpions freak me out now!

Anonymous said...

Oh poor thing I am glad he is better that is so sad!

TheLadiesRoom said...

Poor little buddy. Even though it's been a few days, give him extra loves from the Hoffs. =)