Friday, January 2, 2009

Tanner's first emergency

On Sunday Tanner was being a real stink (not that that is too unusual), so Abe had to keep him out in the hall. During Gospel Doctrine I get a wave from Abe for me to come out in the hall. Abe says, "I think Tanner needs stitches." Oh great. My little Tanner has a pretty bad cut above his eye and he is bleeding pretty bad. Abe tells me that Tanner had tripped onto one of the end tables in the foyer. I didn't want to just rush out of church and take him to the ER, so I decided I needed a professional opinion. I went back into class to find someone who might know a doctor or nurse. We find someone that is in the next ward and he tells us we should take him to a doctor. Oh great. So we pull Aidan out of primary (he is concerned for his brother)and decide to go to the urgent care center a couple of miles away. When we get there they are luckily not at all busy and we get seen in about 20 minutes. The doctor tells us he's going to use Derma-bond (pretty much super glue for the skin) instead of stitches. He says little babies do better with something they can't pull at and that stitches leave a bigger scar. Our little Tanner was so amazingly well behaved. He didn't cry the entire time we were at the urgent care. When the doctor was scrubbing the dried blood off and disinfecting he didn't even wince. He just smiled at the doctor. And when we laid him down to glue him up he wasn't squirmy at all. He just laid there and "talked" to us all while the doctor worked. He was the perfect patient.
As of today his cut looks much better and I'm hoping the scar won't be too bad. Hopefully this is not the first of many ER/urgent care visits for him. If he's anything like me, it will be. I'm known to be pretty clumsy and unfortunately I think Tanner inherited that trait from me. Lets just hope his body is tougher than mine :)

6 comments:

TheLadiesRoom said...

Awe... Tan Tan! He still looks so dang cute. And he's still smiling like a cute little chipmunk! Glad he's okay. What a sweetie

Elise and Dan said...

poor little guy! And so brave too!

Carrie said...

Thankfully it wasn't his eye! What a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Oh poor little guy!! so sad, he looks happy!

andreamatrix said...

Oh man! He does much better than I would... So did he get a shiner?

The Kurtzeborn Family said...

He's still so cute even with the swollen eyebrow! Stuff like that always seems to happen when Daddy is in charge of watching the baby. . . . :)