Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas 2008

Christmas was awesome this year! I am usually a little cranky on Christmas because of all the moving around from house to house we do, but this year I was just fine with it. In fact, I really enjoyed myself. I was however really bad at taking pictures so I only have a few to share. I did take alot of video though. I've taken all the decorations down (thanks to Tanner's obsession with ornaments) so Christmas is officially over! Here are our memories from this year:

CHRISTMAS EVE:
We did the regular Penberthy tradition and went to Abe's parent's house for homemade clam chowder. Jean makes it every year and we all(7 of us now) gather to enjoy. After putting the kids to bed at home I finished up some last minute wrapping, Abe put together Tanner's big wheel, and "Santa" arranged all the presents under the tree. We didn't get to bed until after midnight...

CHRISTMAS DAY:
Abe's parents decided to come to our house this year for the morning opening of presents. I had to get myself up at 6:30 to make myself presentable because they were going to come over at 7 to put their presents under the tree. Shortly after we were done arranging their presents Tanner woke up. And of course that woke Aidan up. And he does not like being woken up! He was a little crabby...from the top of the stairs he saw all the presents and said with a grumpy voice,"what are there like a billion presents?!" It only took about 5 seconds for his attitude to change and run down to his stocking. Presents were opened very quickly for Aidan. Tanner was a little slow though. He would open one and then wander around and then go back to Daddy for help with another. We all got pretty spoiled this year. Aidan got absolutley everything, and much more, that was on his list. Tanner would have been perfectly happy with the two red cars he carried in each hand, but he got plenty more. Abe got his most coveted iPhone from me. I was actually able to surprise him, which is a rare thing. My big items were a massage chair and a Coach purse! Okay, it's not the real Coach, but it's a perfectly good knock off that was purchased in New York by Abe's parents. Seriously though, it looks just like the real thing. We did have one major upset of a present that was given to Aidan. We bought him this Lego set that he has really been wanting (and that took me forever to find), but it was missing some pieces. Aidan freaked out! It took a while, but we finally got him to calm down and assured him that we would get it replaced. We got a new one for him a few days later and he was ecstatic.



Tanner's sleepy face

Aidan looking for his name

Tanner with his favorite gifts

Aidan forcing a smile for the camera...he was too busy for posing.


The kids got a couple of hours to play with their new toys and then we were off to the Penberthy house for breakfast made by Bill. This is a tradition for Abe's side of the family. Any aunts, uncles, grandparents, or cousins that are in town come over to enjoy biscuits and gravy, bacon,fruit, etc... Normally a few hours after breakfast they like us to go to Grandma and Grandpa's house to open presents from them, but this year we needed to leave by 1:30 to make it to my parent's house for my side of the family. We need to figure out a better system for splitting between families. Well I have a plan, but anyways.....

We always do a gift exchange between kids in my family. We draw names a few months before Christmas to give us plenty of time to shop around. With 5 out of 6 of us being married now, we decided to exchange as couples. Waylon is the only single (for now) and he didn't seem to mind. Some good stuff was exchanged this year. We got a sweet picture of us that was enlarged and re-finished to look sepia-ish. We also got Batman Begins and Don't Break the Ice...yes! All of us kids got some good hockey tickets for my mom and dad. Waylon got my dad a ridiculously awesome bow. It was sweet to see my dad so shocked and appreciative. We had fun hanging with everyone for a few hours and they kids always enjoy all the play time with their cousins.
Me and my siblings (there were two cameras on us)

Tanner with Grandpa Marble


That night, at about 8, some old friends of Abe's came by. We get to see them about once year and it's always such a fun time. We laugh basically the whole time. Abe's friend J.R. always manages to get the most unique gifts for Aidan. This year it was a toy para scope. They all stayed until about 11, so it ended up being a LONG day. But it was so much fun. We are very blessed to have so much family and friends around. I can't wait for next year!!!

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

Tanner is the cutest little guy! He's even got curls like Tannon! I'm so glad you guys had a good Christmas. I've always been jealous of those with family here, but this year was so nice to be away from them. Sad but 100% true! It was so relaxing!

The Kurtzeborn Family said...

Look at that haul under your tree!! You guys made out great this year! I love Tanner's sleepy picture. It's sweet :) Sounds like you were busy, but had a great time with both sides of the families. We miss you guys!